2017 is here and is the perfect time to launch my revamped website now with its own hosted store thanks to Squarespace!
For February I will be donating to the Homeward Pet Adoption Center in honor of Oz and in celebration of my new family member, Xander (who came from Homeward). I am also doubling my donation amount to 30% for my animal related items.
I took most of December off from my day job to relax and work on new art projects. Of course, as it always goes, I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked or ended up doing things I did not plan (such as this new website). I did get solid time in on two big things though, exploring Western watercolors and doing Chinese watercolor reminiscent of ancient painting styles. There is a great simplicity in Sumi-e and Chinese watercolor that can be both freeing and frustrating. You learn to live with your mistakes, or as Bob Ross called them, "happy accidents", because there's very little you can do to correct it. But sometimes those mistakes just make you want to rip it up start over >.< Western watercolor on the other hand is more forgiving in that respect though certainly comes with its own challenges. I love some of the watercolor techniques I've seen though that you can't elsewhere so I've really been wanting to try it.
My first few watercolor attempts where just playing around and trying to paint some random thing that came to mind. This mostly resulted in looking like I was back in grade school. Never an encouraging start, but I knew I just needed more planning. So, I decided to work on two projects at once by taking my sketch for my Chinese watercolor painting and also doing a Western watercolor version of it.
The inspiration for this first set came from a photo of the Laojun Mountains where fresh air was recently collected from and passed out in Zhengzhou.
Overall I'm happy since this very much in the experimental/learning phase. For the second set I decided to try using semi-sized Xuan paper as it doesn't bleed easily. And for the watercolor version I decided to try not doing the outline in black ink. This time inspiration came from this amazing artwork.
My final paintings of 2014:
I was tempted to save this to be the first painting in my 52 project, but decided that would be cheating. There were some other experiments such as trying out sodium alginate thicker for dye, but this is all I have to share right now.
Out with the old and in with the new. Ditching Wordpress and moving to Squarespace! Much happier with their built-in image galleries and easy editing. Hopefully this means I'll actually update this more then 3 times a year.
2014 turned out to be a great year for DMoSan. Sales were significantly higher than last year and it was the start of Art for a Cause, so I am very happy with the amount of money I was able to donate to both FareStart and Food Lifeline. Thank you everyone that made this happen. Here's to supporting even more causes in the new year!
For 2015 I have decided to do a 52 project of one painting a week. This may prove too big of a commitment but there's only one way to find out! For a while now I've been wanting to learn how to paint in the style of ancient Chinese paintings, specifically the blue-green landscapes that evolved during the Tang Dynasty, and add in atypical subjects such as aliens, dinosaurs, or other sci-fi/fantasy elements. I took a long staycation during December and started working on this thanks to Chinese Landscape Painting techniques for watercolor by Lian Quan Zhen. I plan to at least start my 52 project with this concept. I don't expect every painting to be an overall success but my hope is that each piece will let me explore some idea and hone my skills.